Brigadier General John Buford commanded the First Division of the Cavalry Corps at Gettysburg.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? July 1, 1895.
What is it made out of? Sculpture: bronze; Base: granite.
What size is it? Sculpture: approx. H. 9 ft.; Upper base: 5 x 4 x 4 ft.; Lower base: 2 x 5 x 5 ft.
Who made it? Kelly, James Edward, 1855-1933, sculptor. Henry-Bonnard Bronze Company, founder.
What does it depict? A standing portrait of General Buford looking out to the west as he did in 1863 when three thousand cavalrymen of his division prepared to meet the advance of Robert E. Lee’s army. He holds a pair of binoculars in his raised proper right hand. The monument was funded by Jerome B. Wheeler. The Buford Memorial Association was formed in 1888 and during design discussions, John Calef, who had commanded a horse artillery battery under General Buford, suggested that the design incorporate four ordnance rifles that were in the battery. One of the ordnance rifles was number 233, the rifle that fired the first Union artillery shot of the battle under Buford’s direction. The Army Chief of Ordnance located the rifle tubes and donated them to the monument committee. At the dedication ceremony, Major Calef symbolically spiked the four rifle tubes. Overall height is 15.6 foot.
When was this photograph taken? February 8, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, On McPherson Farm, near U.S. 30, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on the McPherson farm on the north side of the Chambersburg Pike.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commanded: First Division of the Army of the Potomac’s Cavalry Corps.
Brief Biography: John Buford, Jr. (March 4, 1826 – December 16, 1863) was a Union cavalry officer during the American Civil War, with a prominent role at the start of the Battle of Gettysburg. Professional soldier, USMA 1848. Buford died just six months after the battle from Typhoid Fever. The bronze statue to cavalry division commander John Buford is located near the Reynolds equestrian on the Chambersburg Pike. This seems especially appropriate because Reynolds and Buford worked closely together to choose this ground as the battlefield.
Bronze Portraits at Gettysburg
Brig. Gen. Francis Barlow – Brig. Gen. John Buford – John Burns – Brig. Gen. Samuel W. Crawford – Father William Corby – Brig. Gen. Abner Doubleday – Brig. Gen. John Geary – Brig. Gen. John Gibbon – Brig. Gen. George S. Greene – Brig. Gen. Alexander Hays – Brig. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys – Maj. Gen. John Reynolds – Brig. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren – Brig. Gen. James S. Wadsworth – Brig. Gen. Alexander Webb – Maj. William Wells