About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? 1914. Locations were marked with wooden stakes in 1912; monuments were completed prior to August 1, 1914.
What is it made out of? Granite and bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 1’7?x3’6?, 5’6? high. Bronze tablets, 3? square, in shape of a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face of monolith.
Who made it? Van Amringe Company (granite bases), Albert Russell & Sons Company (bronze tablets). Erected by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
What does it honor? Denotes the location of the field hospitals of the Army of the Potomac.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
Army of the Potomac
Location of the Field Hospitals
During the Battle of Gettysburg
1st Corps – July 1st at the Lutheran Theological Seminary and in Gettysburg
July 2nd near White Church on Baltimore Pike
2nd Corps – July 2nd on east and west side of Rock Creek east of the Bushman House
3rd Corps – July 2nd on Taneytown Road and soon removed to an angle formed by White Run and Rock Creek
5th Corps – July 2nd on Taneytown Road west of Round Top
July 3rd near Two Taverns
6th Corps – At the Trostle House east of Rock Creek
11th Corps – At the Spangler House southeast of the Granite Schoolhouse
12th Corps – At the Bushman House near Rock Creek
Cavalry Corps – At Presbyterian Church and other buildings in Gettysburg
General Hospital Camp Letterman at the Hospital Woods on the York Pike. These hospitals cared for twenty thousand wounded Union and Confederate.
Medical director of the Army of the Potomac Surgeon Jonathan Letterman, U.S. Army.
When was this photograph taken? September 20, 2009.
Medical Director: Maj. Jonathan K. Letterman. After Action Report of Dr. Jonathan Letterman, Medical Director of the Army of the Potomac.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on south side of York Pike. The site chosen for the hospital camp after the battle of Gettysburg was the George Wolf Farm, roughly one and one-half miles east of Gettysburg on the York Pike. This area has now been almost totally commercially developed.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been changed or materially altered.
Secondary Monuments and Markers
Photographed: November 13, 2009.
Location: Chambersburg Pike
Description: Denotes the use of the McPherson Barn as a field hospital for both sides during the battle of Gettysburg on July 1, 2, and 3. At some point July 4 appears to have been removed. Placed on North gable wall of the McPherson Barn which was used as a field hospital for the wounded of the Union and Confederate armies. Bronze plaque, 3’1″x1’8.” It was placed in 1914.