About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1912.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth sea-green granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? 36′ by 36′ base. Weight: 300 Pounds. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth sea-green granite pedestal with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
What does it honor? One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
TWELFTH CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Col. Archibald L. McDougall
5th 20th Connecticut 3D Maryland
123D 145th New York 46th Penna. Infantry
July 1. Marched from Littlestown and when within two miles of Gettysburg advanced on Wolf Hill then occupied by a Confederate force. Retired and bivouacked until morning.
July 2. Crossed Rock Creek in the morning and formed in two lines on Culp’s Hill to the right of Second Division. The rear line behind a stone wall the front line forty yards in front where breastworks were immediately constructed. Late in the day went to support of Third Corps line and after dark returned and found the works and woods in rear in possession of Major Gen. Johnson’s Confederate Division.
July 3. At daylight the Brigade with the artillery and infantry of the Corps attacked Major Gen. Johnson’s Division which had been reinforced from Major Gen. Early’s and Major Gen. Rodes’ Divisions and at 10.30 A. M. recaptured the works after a fierce contest. In the afternoon sent to the support of Second Corps.
July 4. The 123D New York 5th Conn. and 46th Penna. with the regiments of Third Brigade and a battery made a reconnaissance in the morning in front and to the town of Gettysburg under Col. S. Colgrove and Major Gen. H. W. Slocum and found no Confederate forces.
Casualties Killed 1 Officer 11 Men Wounded 4 Officers 56 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 7 Men Total 80
When was this photograph taken? February 7, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on Slocum Avenue, south end.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Located on extended tour route that includes Culp’s Hill.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commander: Colonel Clinton Dugald MacDougall (June 14, 1839 – May 24, 1914) was a United States Representative from New York. Born near Glasgow, Scotland, he immigrated to Canada in 1842 with his parents, who later settled in Auburn, New York. He pursued an academic course, studied law, and engaged in banking from 1856 to 1869. He was commissioned captain in the Seventy-fifth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry on September 16, 1861; lieutenant colonel of the One Hundred and Eleventh Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry, August 20, 1862; colonel January 3, 1863; and Brevetted brigadier general of Volunteers February 25, 1865. He was honorably mustered out on June 4, 1865. In 1869 he was appointed postmaster of Auburn.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Col. Archibald L. McDougall (will open a pop up window).