The 11th Corps, 1st Division, 1st Brigade was also known as Von Gilsa’s Brigade. During the battle of Gettysburg, it served as a member of Barlow’s Division of the Eleventh Corps, Army of the Potomac.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1912.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth sea-green granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? 36′ by 36′ base. Weight: 300 Pounds. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth sea-green granite pedestal with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
What does it honor? One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons.
How is it inscribed? The monumnt reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
ELEVENTH CORPS FIRST DIVISION
Col. Leopold Von Gilsa
41st (9 Cos.) 54th 68th New York
153D Pennsylvania Infantry
July 1. The Brigade except the 41st New York having been temporarily left at Emmitsburg arrived about noon and took position a mile northerly from town on left of Harrisburg Road and right of Rock Creek Second Brigade on right and Third Division on left. Advanced over a knoll into woods in front and encountered Brig. Gen. Gordon’s Brigade and was attacked by Brig. Gen. Doles’s Brigade Major Gen. Rodes’s Division and subjected to a severe enfilading artillery fire from Lieut. Col. Jones’s Battalion on a knoll east of Rock Creek and forced back to the Almshouse where being outflanked the Brigade fell back with the Corps to Cemetery Hill and took position behind a stone wall on the right of Corps. The 41st New York rejoined the Brigade in the night.
July 2. Remained in position all day engaged as skirmishers. An attack in the evening on Cemetery Hill on the left was repulsed with the aid of First Brigade Third Division Second Corps.
July 3. Under artillery fire for an hour and a half but not engaged.
Casualties Killed 4 Officers 50 Men Wounded 21 Officers 289 Men Captured or Missing 6 Officers 157 Men Total 527
When was this photograph taken? May 4, 2010.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located west side of Wainwright Avenue at foot of East Cemetery Hill.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commander: Colonel Leopold von Gilsa (died March 1, 1870) was a career soldier who served as an officer in the armies of Prussia and later the United States. He is best known for his role in the misfortunes of the XI Corps in the Army of the Potomac during the American Civil War, particularly at the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, where many of his men were unjustly accused of cowardice.