The 2nd Volunteer Brigade was also known as Taft’s Brigade. During the battle of Gettysburg, it served as a member of the Artillery Reserve, Army of the Potomac.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1912.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth sea-green granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? 36′ by 36′ base. Weight: 300 Pounds. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth sea-green granite pedestal with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
What does it honor? One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
SECOND VOLUNTEER BRIGADE
Capt. Elijah D. Taft
1st Conn. Heavy Battery B
Capt. Albert F. Brooker
1st Conn. Heavy Battery M
Capt. Franklin A. Pratt
2D Conn. Battery
Capt. John W. Sterling
July 2. Reinforced Third Corps line and late in the day retired and formed line under Lieut. Col. F. McGilvery on left of Second Corps.
5th New York Battery
Capt. Elijah D. Taft
July 2 and 3. Engaged on Cemetery Hill.
Casualties Killed 1 Man Wounded 5 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 8
When was this photograph taken? September 20, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located West side of Baltimore Pike at East Cemetery Hill, Evergreen Cemetery.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially changed.
Commander: Capt. Elijah D. Taft (1819-1915). Born in Mamaroneck, New York. Carpenter from New York.