The Fifth Corps was also known as Sykes Corps. The Corps is honored by a War Department monument and by a granite monument.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected December 1906.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 4’2?x2’4?x 7?H. Bronze inscription tablet, 3’7?x4’1?, mounted on finished face of monolith.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? A rectangular granite monument, with a large bronze tablets thereon, describing the engagements and movements of each army corps. Maltese Cross Corps Badge incorporated in center of tablet top.
What does it honor? One of the Union army corps monuments, denoting the service of the Fifth Corps, George Sykes commanding, Army of the Potomac.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General George Sykes
First Division Brigadier General James Barnes
Second Division Brigadier General Romeyn B. Ayres
Third Division Brigadier General Samuel W. Crawford
Artillery Brigade Captain Augustus P. Martin
July 2. Arrived in the morning and went into position on the right of 12th Corps. Later crossed Rock Creek via Baltimore Pike and was massed in the field until late in the afternoon. Moved to the left between 4 and 5 P. M. Barnes’ and Ayres’ Divisions taking possession of Little Round Top and reinforcing the 3D Corps line Crawford’s Division in reserve. All Brigades of the Corps except Fisher’s were engaged at intervals until night.
July 3. Barnes’ Division except Tilton’s Brigade north of Little Round Top with Wright’s Division 6th Corps on the right, left and rear. Ayres’ and Crawford’s Divisions and Tilton’s Brigade on the Round Tops. These positions were held during the day.
July 4. In same positions except reconnaissances from each Division were made in front during the day.
Casualties Killed 28 Officers 337 Men Wounded 129 Officers 1481 Men Captured or Missing 1 Officer 210 Men Total 2186
When was this photograph taken? August 27, 2012.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on East side of Sykes Ave, north slope of Little Round Top.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Yes.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Secondary Monuments and Markers
Photographed: February 6, 2009.
Location: Sedgwick Avenue. Located on the east side of Sedgwick Avenue south of the Wheatfield Road. This monument is marked on the map above by a RED pushpin.
Description: Granite monument known as the Fifth Corps headquarters monument. Dedicated June, 1898. Marks location of Union V Corps headquarters on July 2-5 1863. One of earliest of any headquarters markers in Park. Marker is a granite shaft with a concave cylindrical pedestal and cap and a conical apex top. The shaft has a Maltese Cross of the Fifth Corps on all four faces. The base is 3.1 foot square. Overall height is 6.6 feet.
Photographed: February 6, 2009.
Location: Sedgwick Avenue. Located on East side of Sedwick Avenue. This monument is marked on the map above by a BLUE pushpin.
Description: Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission and completed in June 1913; consists of steel cannon mounted on a granite base. Denotes the location of General Sykes headquarters during the battle. Rough-hewn, 3 course base, 3’2″ sq, 2’7″ high. Wrought iron cannon tube mounted upright on base with bronze Maltese Cross attached. Overall, 10’6″ high. Bronze inscription tablet & location tablet on West face.
Commander: Brig. Gen. George Sykes (October 9, 1822 – February 8, 1880) was a career United States Army officer and a Union General during the American Civil War. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Maj. Gen. George Sykes (will open a pop up window).