The Sixth Corps was also known as Sedgwick’s Corps.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected December 1906.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 4’2?x2’4?x 7?H. Bronze inscription tablet, 3’7?x4’1?, mounted on finished face of monolith.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? A rectangular granite monument, with a large bronze tablets thereon, describing the engagements and movements of each army corps. Greek Cross Corps Badge incorporated in center of tablet top.
What does it honor? One of the Union army corps monuments, denoting the service of the Sixth Army Corps, Army of the Potomac.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General John Sedgwick
First Division Brigadier General Horatio G. Wright
Second Division Brigadier General Albion R Howe
Third Division Major General John Newton
Brigadier General Frank Wheaton
Artillery Brigade Colonel Charles H. Tompkins
The Corps being in reserve its operations were mostly by Brigades independent of each other and of different portions of the field.
July 2. Arrived in the afternoon after a march of over 30 miles. Nevin’s Brigade Wheaton’s Division Bartlett’s Brigade Wright’s Division went into action about sunset on the left centre between the divisions of 5th Corps and assisted in repulsing the Confederate assault. Russell’s and Torbert’s Brigades Wright’s Division was sent to the extreme left of the line east of Round Top. Shaler’s Brigade Wheaton’s Division was held in reserve near the left centre.
July 3. The brigades of the Corps were put into position where needed at different points on the line from right to left until the close of the battle.
Casualties Killed 2 Officers 25 Men Wounded 14 Officers 171 Men Captured or Missing 30 Men Total 242 Men
When was this photograph taken? February 6, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on east side of Sedgwick Avenue, north of center.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been changed or materially altered.
Secondary Monuments and Markers
Photographed: September 18, 2009.
Location: Sedgwick Avenue. Located on West side of Sedgwick Avenue. This monument is denoted on the map above by a RED pushpin.
Description: Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission and completed in June 1913; consists of steel cannon mounted on a granite base. Denotes the approximate location of the Sixth Corps headquarters. Rough-hewn , 3-course base, 3’2″ sq. 2’7″ high. Wrought iron cannon tube mounted upright on base, w/ bronze Greek cross attached. Overall height, 10’6″ high. Bronze inscription tablet on West face.
Commander: Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick (September 13, 1813 – May 9, 1864) was a teacher, a career military officer, and a Union Army general in the American Civil War. His death at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House is often considered a well known tale of irony. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick (will open a pop up window).