The 12th Corps, 2nd Division, 1st Brigade was also known as Candy’s Brigade. During the battle of Gettysburg, it served as a member of Geary’s Division in the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac. The brigade is honored by two monuments, one erected by the War Department, and one by the survivors.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1912.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth sea-green granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? 36′ by 36′ base. Weight: 300 Pounds. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth sea-green granite pedestal with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
What does it honor? One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
TWELFTH CORPS SECOND DIVISION
Col. Charles Candy
5th 7th 66th Ohio
28th 147th Pennsylvania Infantry
July 1. Arrived at 5 P. M. and took position on the left of Third Brigade between the First Corps and the Round Tops. The 5th Ohio and 147th Penna. occupied Little Round Top during the night as skirmishers.
July 2. Moved to Culp’s Hill in the morning and took position as a reserve in rear of Third Brigade. At 7 P. M. moved to the rear on Baltimore Pike across Rock Creek. Returned at midnight and formed on the right of Third Brigade perpendicular to its line.
July 3. At daylight the artillery opened on the Confederate line. The 147th Penna. advanced and captured a stone wall. The 5th Ohio held its position on the right of the Brigade under a heavy fire. The other regiments were in reserve and at intervals relieved the regiments of Second and Third Brigades. The 66th Ohio advanced beyond the breastworks and poured an enfilading fire on the Confederates occupying the works on the right. At 10.30 A. M. Major Gen. Johnson’s forces were forced from the works. Skirmishing continued all day.
Casualties Killed 4 Officers 14 Men Wounded 5 Officers 114 Men Captured or Missing 2 Men Total 139
When was this photograph taken? April 14, 2011.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on North Slocum Avenue, Culp’s Hill.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Located on extended tour route that includes Culp’s Hill.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Secondary Monuments and Markers
Photographed: February 6, 2009.
Location: Sedgwick Avenue. Located east of Sedgwick Avenue. This monument is located on the map above by a RED pushpin.
Description: Monument was dedicated September 18, 1902. Marks area occupied by Candy’s Brigade of the Union XII Corps on the night of July 1, 1863 and morning of July 2, 1863, prior to being ordered to Culp’s Hill. Marker is a rough hewn granite shaft set on a 4.10×1.4 foot rough hewn base. Bronze inscription tablet mounted on the west below a five-pointed star. “1st Brig. 2nd Div. 12 Corps” inscribed in raised letters on the base.
Inscription: It reads, First Brigade / Colonel Charles Candy Commanding / 2d. Division 12th. Corps / 5th Ohio Infantry Col. J.H. Patrick / 7th Ohio Infantry Col. W.R. Creighton / 29th Ohio Infantry Capt. W.F. Stevens, Capt. Edward Hayes / 66th Ohio Infantry Lieut-Col. E. Powell / 28th Penna. Infantry Capt. John Flynn / 147th Penna. Infantry Lieut-Col. A. Pardee Jr. / July 1 about 5 p.m. took position along / the ridge in rear of this tablet the / 5th Ohio and 147th Penna. occupied / Little Round Top at dusk on picket duty / July 2 early in the morning the Brigade / moved to Culp’s Hill.
Commander: Colonel Charles Candy (August 7, 1832 – October 28, 1910) was a career soldier in the United States Army who served as an officer in the volunteer Union Army during the American Civil War. He commanded an Ohio regiment and, frequently, a brigade, during the war, and played a role in the defense of Culp’s Hill during the July 1863 Battle of Gettysburg.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Col. Charles Candy (will open a pop up window).