About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Completed between 1911 and 1912.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Sea Green Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Each brigade monument stands 5’4″ high and weigh 3,500 pounds.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts
What does it depict? Pedestals: Monolith consisting of polished smooth sea-green granite pedestal with a square 36′ by 36′ base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet measuring 4’0′ x 3’8” with rounded corners weighing 300 pounds.
What does it honor? One of 74 brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. Monuments were designed by E.B. Cope.
How is it inscribed? Reads,
: ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Col. Charles S. Wainwright
Maine 2D Battery B Six 3 Inch Rifles
Capt. James A. Hall
Maine 5th Battery E Six 12 Pounders
Capt. Greenleaf T. Stevens Lieut. Edward N. Whittier
1st New York Battery L Four 3 Inch Rifles
Capt. Gilbert Reynolds Lieut. George Breck
1st Penna. Battery B Four 3 Inch Rifles
Capt. James H. Cooper
4th U. S. Battery B Four 12 Pounders
Lieut. James Stewart
July 1. Arrived between 10 and 11 A. M. Battery B 2D Maine in advance relieved Battery A 2D U. S. on Chambersburg Pike and became hotly engaged with artillery in front and infantry on right but was compelled to retire from the ridge. About 2 P. M. the Confederates having opened with artillery from Oak Hill on right the batteries in advance were compelled to withdraw and take position on ridge in rear and on both sides of Reynolds Woods but again being flanked and enfiladed by Confederate infantry and artillery the Union forces were withdrawn to Seminary Ridge and at 4 P. M. retired through the town to Cemetery Hill. On reaching Cemetery Hill the artillery was immediately put into position for defence.
July 2. Not engaged until 4 P. M. when the Confederates opened on the position with four 20 Pounders and six 10 Pounder Perrotts but were compelled to withdraw. Battery B 1st Penna. relieved by Batteries F and C 1st Penna. At dusk the position on East Cemetery Hill was attacked by Brig. Gen. Hays’s and Brig. Gen. Hoke’s Brigades.They fought through Battery I 1st New York into Batteries F and C 1st Penna. spiking one gun. The cannoniers stood to their guns and with handspikes rammers and stones and the aid of infantry that was hurried to the defence the attack was repulsed between 9 and 10 P. M.
July 3. No serious engagement.
Casualties Killed 9 Men Wounded 6 Officers 80 Men Captured or Missing 11 Men Total 106
When was this photograph taken? December 11, 2011.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Yes, included on the extended auto tour that includes Culp’s Hill.
Has this monument been moved or changed? Monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commander: Charles Shiels Wainwright (December 31, 1826 – September 13, 1907) was a produce farmer in the state of New York and an artillery officer in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He played an important role in the defense of Cemetery Hill during the July 1863 Battle of Gettysburg, where his artillery helped repel a Confederate attack. His extensive diary kept during the war is considered to be among the finest such documents from the Civil War period.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Col. Charles S. Wainwright (will open a pop up window).