The 12th Corps, Artillery Brigade was also known as Muhlenberg’s Brigade. During the battle of Gettysburg, it served as a member of the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1912.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Polished smooth sea-green granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? 36′ by 36′ base. Weight: 300 Pounds. Height 5’4″. Tablet measures 4 feet by 3 feet 8 inches.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monolith consisting of polished smooth sea-green granite pedestal with a square base. Base tapers to a smaller dimension at the tablet. On each pedestal is mounted a bronze inscription tablet describing the movements and actions of the unit.
What does it honor? One of 74 Union brigade monuments erected at Gettysburg by the United States War Department to describe the movements and itinerary of each Union brigade of the Army of the Potomac. The monuments were designed by E.B. Cope. Many of the inscription tablets were made of bronze melted down from Civil War cannons.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Lieut. Edward D. Muhlenberg
1st New York Battery M Four 10 Pounders Lieut. Charles E. Winegar
Penna. Battery E Six 10 Pounders Lieut. Charles A. Atwell
4th U. S. Battery F Six 10 Pounders Lieut. Sylvanus T Rugg
5th U. S. Battery K Four 10 Pounders Lieut. David H. Kinzie
July 1. About noon two batteries moved from Two Taverns with First Division toward the Hanover Road to within a mile and a half of Gettysburg. The other two batteries moved with Second Division and encamped for the night the same distance from town.
July 2. In the afternoon three guns of Battery E Penna. and two of Battery K 5th U. S. were placed on the summit of Culp’s Hill and were engaged at once with the Confederate artillery. At night Battery E Penna. and Battery M 1st New York were placed on Powers’s and McAllister’s Hills. Battery F 4th U. S. and Battery K 5th U. S. at the base of Powers’s Hill.
July 3. Battery F 4th U. S. and Battery K 5th U. S. in rear of the centre of the Corps. Battery E Penna. and Battery A Maryland six 3 inch rifles from the Reserve Artillery on Powers’s Hill all commanding the valley of Rock Creek. At daylight the artillery (26) guns opened on the position occupied by Major Gen. Johnson’s Division and fired for about 15 minutes then ceased to allow the infantry to advance. Began firing again at 5.30 and continued at intervals until 10.30 A. M. when the Confederates were forced from their position along the entire line.
Casualties 9 men wounded 3 mortally
When was this photograph taken? May 30, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located south side of Hunt Avenue at Baltimore Pike.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commander: Lieut. Edward Duchman Muhlenberg (May 15, 1831 – March 10, 1883) was an American civil engineer in the railroad industry and an officer in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He commanded an artillery brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg while only a lieutenant. He played an important role in the defense of Culp’s Hill against attacking Confederates.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Lieut. Edward D. Muhlenberg (will open a pop up window).