Birney’s Division served as a member of the Third Corps in the Army of the Potomac.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1910.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Seven foot tall monolith.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monuments are rough-hewn monoliths, 4’2?x2?x7?H, consisting of Winnsboro, South Carolina granite. Bronze inscription tablet, 3’8?x3’6-3/4?, is affixed to the polished face of the monolith. Corps insignia, a bronze Diamond, is excised & polished at top of tablet.
What does it honor? One of 22 Union division monuments that describe the movements and itinerary of each division of the Army of the Potomac. Designed by E. B. Cope.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General David B. Birney
Brigadier General J. H. Hobart Ward
July 1. This Division was at Emmitsburg covering roads from Fairfield and Gettysburg. Shortly after 3 P. M. marched to Gettysburg leaving De Trobriand’s Brigade.
July 2. This Brigade rejoined. At about 7 A. M. Birney relieved Geary’s 2D Division 12th Corps, his left resting near Little Round Top, his right joining Humphreys on Cemetery Ridge. Picket line holding Emmitsburg road. Shortly after 2 P. M. Division wheeled to the left occupying high ground from Plum Run to Peach Orchard and thence along Emmitsburg Road to the Sherfy House, Wards Brigade on the left, De Trobriand’s in the centre, and Graham’s on the right. Burling’s Brigade Humphreys’ Division in reserve near Birney’s centre. Confederate artillery opened at 3 o’clock. Soon after, three brigades of Hood’s Division attacked Ward on Birney’s left, extending later to De Trobriand. These attacks were successfully resisted. At 5:30 P. M. two brigades of McLaw’s Division attacked Birney’s right and centre. Two brigades of 5th Corps advanced to the rocky knoll at De Trobriand’s right but withdrew after a brief contest. Here occurred the first break in Birney’s line. Movement against south face of the Peach Orchard checked by batteries in Birney’s right centre. The Confederates renewed their attack on Birney’s centre. Caldwell’s Division 2D Corps now arrived, and, with troops from the 5th Corps, relieved Birney except at the Peach Orchard. About 6:30 P. M. Birney’s right at the Peach Orchard was attacked on both fronts and broken opposite Sherfy House after stubborn resistance. Through this gap the Confederates swept forward crushing Birney’s right which rejoined its Division.
July 3. The Division was held in reserve and detachments moved to threatened points.
Casualties Killed 22 Officers 249 Men Wounded 106 Officers 1278 Men Captured or Missing 12 Officers 344 Men Total 2011
When was this photograph taken? May 30, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on Northeast corner of Emmitsburg & Wheatfield Road at Peach Orchard.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commander: Maj. Gen. David Bell Birney (May 29, 1825 – October 18, 1864) was a businessman, lawyer, and a Union General in the American Civil War. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Maj. Gen. David Bell Birney (will open a pop up window).