Williams’ Division served as a member of the Twelfth Corps in the Army of the Potomac.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1910.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Seven foot tall monolith.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monuments are rough-hewn monoliths, 4’2?x2?x7?H, consisting of Winnsboro, South Carolina granite. Bronze inscription tablet, 3’8?x3’6-3/4?, is affixed to the polished face of the monolith. Corps insignia, a bronze Maltese Cross, is excised & polished at top of tablet.
What does it honor? One of 22 Union division monuments that describe the movements and itinerary of each division of the Army of the Potomac. Designed by E. B. Cope.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Brig. General Alpheus S. Williams Brig. General Thos. H. Ruger
First Brigade Col. Archibald L. McDougall
Second Brigade Brig. Gen. Henry H. Lockwood
Third Brigade Brig. Gen. Thos. H. Ruger
Col. Silas Colgrove
July 1. Approaching Rock Creek on the Baltimore Pike the Division moved on a cross road to occupy Wolf Hill but retired at sunset and took position east of Rock Creek for the night. The First and Sixth Corps having been included in Gen. Slocum’s command Gen. Williams assumed command of the Corps. Gen. Ruger of the First Division and Col. S. Colgrove of the Third Brigade.
July 2. Brig. Gen. Lockwood’s Brigade joined the Corps early in the morning not having been assigned to a division was subject to the direct orders of the Corps Commander until assigned July 5th to First Division. The Division at 8 A. M. crossed Rock Creek and formed on the right of Second Division its left on Culp’s Hill the right in McAllister’s Woods. Breastworks were constructed along the line. Late in the day the Division moved to support Third Corps and Johnson’s Confederate Division advanced and occupied the vacant works.
July 3. At daylight attacked the Confederate Infantry and was hotly engaged with charges and countercharges at different points until 10:30 A. M. when the Confederate forces retired.
July 4. Early in the morning Gen. Slocum with a detachment of infantry and a battery made a reconnaissance in front to Gettysburg without opposition.
When was this photograph taken? December 17, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. South Slocum Avenue, Culp’s Hill.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? This monument is on the extended tour route that includes Culp’s Hill.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commander: Maj. Gen. Alpheus Starkey Williams (September 29, 1810 – December 21, 1878) was a lawyer, judge, journalist, U.S. Congressman, and a Union general in the American Civil War. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Brig. Gen. Thomas H. Ruger (will open a pop up window).