Crawford’s Division served as a member of the Fifth Corps in the Army of the Potomac.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected circa 1910.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Seven foot tall monolith.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? Monuments are rough-hewn monoliths, 4’2?x2?x7?H, consisting of Winnsboro, South Carolina granite. Bronze inscription tablet, 3’8?x3’6-3/4?, is affixed to the polished face of the monolith. Corps insignia, a bronze Maltese Cross, is excised & polished at top of tablet.
What does it honor? One of 22 Union division monuments that describe the movements and itinerary of each division of the Army of the Potomac. Designed by E. B. Cope.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Brig. General Samuel W. Crawford
First Brigade William McCandless
Third Brigade Col. Joseph W. Fisher
July 2. Moved to Little Round Top late in the day and went into position on the right of the Wheatfield Road. On the retreat of the troops from the Wheatfield in front after sunset the First Brigade was advanced against the pursuing forces and drove them across Plum Run marsh and beyond the stone wall and into the Wheatfield. The Third Brigade was sent to the left to take possession of Round Top.
July 3. The First Brigade remained in position until about 5 P. M. and then advanced across the Wheatfield and through the woods beyond and on the left capturing many prisoners. The Confederates retired to the crest of the ridge they originally formed on. These positions were held until the close of the battle.
Casualties Killed 3 Officers 23 Men Wounded 17 Officers 164 Men Captured or Missing 3 Men Total 210
When was this photograph taken? December 10, 2011.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on East side of Crawford Avenue, South of the Wheatfield Road.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Commander: Brig. Gen. Samuel Wylie Crawford (November 8, 1829 – November 3, 1892) was a United States Army surgeon and a Union general in the American Civil War. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Brig. Gen. Samuel W. Crawford (will open a pop up window).