The Second Corps was also known as Ewell’s Corps. The corps is honored by a monument and a tablet.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected December 1906.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, seven feet tall.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? A rectangular granite monument, with a large bronze tablets thereon, describing the engagements and movements of each army corps. Rock-faced granite monolith, 4’2?x2?, 7? high, with bronze narrative tablet mounted on obverse polished face.
What does it honor? One of the Confederate army corps monuments, denoting the service of the Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
SECOND ARMY CORPS
Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell
Early’s Division Major General Jubal A. Early
Johnson’s Division Major General Edward Johnson
Rodes’s Division Major General R. E. Rodes
Eight Batteries Colonel J. Thompson
July 1.The Corps occupied the left of the Confederate line and reached the field in the following order Rodes’s Division by Newville Road about noon and deploying along Oak Ridge soon became engaged Early’s Division on the Harrisburg Road about 1 P. M. and united with Rodes’s left in an attack on the First and Eleventh Corps Union troops and drove them through the town to Cemetery Ridge. Johnson’s Division reached the field about night and not engaged late in the night moved along the railroad and took position on the left of Corps and northeast of town.
July 2. In the early morning Johnson’s Division was ordered to take possession of a wooded hill on the left. Skirmishers were advanced and a desultory fire kept up until 4 P. M. when the artillery from Benner’s Hill opened the firing continued for two hours. The batteries were withdrawn much crippled. The Division about dusk was advanced to the assault in connection with Early’s Division on the right the battle continuing until after dark. A partial success was made by a portion of each division but not being supported on the right was withdrawn to the former positions.
July 3. Early in the morning an attack was made by Johnson’s Division having been reinforced by three brigades from the Corps two other assaults were made but failed. Early’s Division was withdrawn and occupied its former position in the town and not engaged. At night the Corps fell back to the range of hills west of the town.
July 4. The Corps took up line of march during the night.
Casualties Killed 809 Wounded 3823 Missing 1305 Total 5937
When was this photograph taken? March 23, 2012.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located on North Confederate Avenue, north of Mummasburg Road, south of the Peace Memorial.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Yes.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Secondary Monuments and Markers
Photographed: May 31, 2009.
Location: West Confederate Avenue, south of Chambersburg Pike. This monument’s location is marked on the above map by a RED pushpin.
Description: Cast iron tablet with raised inscription painted in contrasting color and mounted on fluted cast iron post. 4’4″ high. Tablet 3.8 x 3.4 feet; inscription narrates events associated with Divisions during Battle. Cast by C. Gilbert.
Inscription: Text is as follows,
ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA
RODES’ EARLY’S AND JOHNSON’S DIVISIONS
July 4. Having withdrawn under orders from its previous positions the Corps formed line about daybreak on this ridge with its right a short distance south of the Hagerstown Road its left near the Mummasburg Road and its center near here. Rodes was on the right Johnson on the left and Early on a supporting line in their rear. The breastworks of stone here and the old earthworks beyond the railroad are remains of defenses then thrown up and indicate the position of the front line.
July 5. The three divisions left here at different hours but all were on the march to Hagerstown early in the morning of this day.
Photographed: May 29, 2009.
Location: Hanover Road west of Rock Creek. Located on Hanover Road west of Rock Creek, Borough of Gettysburg. Marker is located on the northeast side of the intersection of Hanover Road and 6th Street. This monument is marked on the map above by a BLUE pushpin.
Description: Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission and completed in 1920-1921; consists of bronze cannon mounted on a granite base. Denotes the location of the headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia’s Second Corps. 12-pounder bronze Confederate cannon cemented into granite base, 3’2″ sq. 2’7″ high w/ muzzle up. Overall height, 10’6″. Bronze inscription tablet on North face.
Commander: Lieut. Gen. Richard Stoddert Ewell (February 8, 1817 – January 25, 1872) was a career United States Army officer and a Confederate general during the American Civil War. He achieved fame as a senior commander under Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee and fought effectively through much of the war, but his legacy has been clouded by controversies over his actions at the Battle of Gettysburg and at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Lieut. Gen. Richard S. Ewell (will open a pop up window).
Ewell’s Corps, ANV at Gettysburg
EWELL’S CORPS – Early’s Division – Gordon’s Brigade – Hays’ Brigade – Hoke’s Brigade – Smith’s Brigade – Jones’ Battalion – Johnson’s Division – Jones’ Brigade – Nicholls’ Brigade – Steuart’s Brigade – Walker’s Brigade – Latimer’s Battalion – Rodes’ Division – Daniel’s Brigade – Doles’ Brigade – Iverson’s Brigade – O’Neal’s Brigade – Ramseur’s Brigade – Carter’s Battalion – Artillery Reserve – Dance’s Battalion – Nelson’s Battalion