About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Oct. 3, 1889.
What is it made out of? Sculpture: Gettysburg granite; Base: granite.
What size is it? Sculpture: approx. 9 ft. x 3 ft. 6 in. x 3 ft. 6 in.; Base: approx. 5 in. x 4 ft. 7 in. x 4 ft. 7 in.
Who made it? Hallowell Granite Company, fabricator.
What does it depict? Rectangular marker with an apexed top and a 12th Corps star insignia affixed on the front face. Monument is a monolithic granite shaft with a pyramidal cap set on a 4.6 foot square smooth cut base. The shaft contains incised inscriptions and an excised corps symbol. Overall height is ten feet.
What does it honor? Monument indicates the position taken by the 10 Maine Battalion on July 2, 1863 after their arrival and before their four companies were scattered on sundry duties as part of the 12th Corps Provost Guard.
How is it inscribed? 10th Maine Battalion, Provost Guard. 12th Corps Hd.qrs. Maj. Genl. Slocum.
When was this photograph taken? September 20, 2009.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Baltimore Pike, between Granite Schoolhouse Lane & Hunt Avenue, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
The 10th Maine Infantry served as Provost Guard for the Twelfth Corps, Army of the Potomac.
Commander: Captain John Davis Beardsley (1837-1911). Owned a sawmill in Woodstock.
Number Engaged: Provost Guard Duty with the 12th Corps.
Casualties: No loss.
Regimental History ~ Dyer’s Compendium of the War of the Rebellion:
Organized at Portland and mustered in October 4, 1861. Left State for Baltimore, Md., October 6. Attached to Dix’s Division to November, 1861. Railroad Brigade, Army Potomac, to April, 1862. 1st Brigade, Williams’ Division, Dept. of the Shenandoah, to June, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Army Corps, Army of Virginia, to September, 1862. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to April, 1863. Headquarters 12th Army Corps, Armies of the Potomac and Cumberland, to November, 1863.
SERVICE.–Duty at Baltimore, Md., until November 4, 1861. At Relay House until November 27, and at Baltimore until February 27, 1862. Guard duty by detachments along Baltimore & Ohio Railroad between Martinsburg and Charleston, W. Va., until May. Company “D” at Harper’s Ferry until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “F” at Harper’s Ferry until May 9, then moved to Winchester. Company “H” at Duffield’s until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “K” at Kearneysville until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “C” at Van Obeiseville until May 9, then moved to Winchester. Company “A” at Opequan Bridge until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “B” at Martinsburg until May 24, then moved to Winchester. Company “E” at Halitown until May 9, then moved to Winchester. Companies “G” and “I” at Charleston until May 9, then moved to Winchester. All Companies at their stations from March 28. Operations in Shenandoah Valley May 15-June 17. Middletown May 24. Winchester May 25. Retreat to Williamsport May 25-27. Reconnaissance toward Martinsburg May 28. Reconnaissance to Luray C. H. June 29-30. Battle of Cedar Mountain August 9. Pope’s Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2. Guarding trains during Bull Run Battles. Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17. Duty at Berlin, Md., October 3-December 10. March to Fairfax Station December 10-14, and duty there until January 19, 1863. March to Stafford C. H. January 19-23, and duty there until April 27. Ordered to rear for muster out April 27. Three-year men formed into a Battalion of three Companies and assigned to duty at Headquarters 12th Army Corps April 26. Old members mustered out May 8, 1863. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 13-July 24. Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. Along the Rapidan August 1-September 24. Moved to Nashville, Tenn., September 24-October 2; to Murfreesboro, Tenn., October 5, thence to Shelbyville and Wartrace. Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29. Provost duty at Headquarters 12th Corps until November. Transferred to 29th Maine Infantry November 1, 1863.
Regiment lost during service 8 Officers and 74 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 53 Enlisted men by disease. Total 136.