The Eleventh Corps was also known as Howard’s Corps.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? Erected December 1906.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 4’2?x2’4?x 7?H. Bronze inscription tablet, 3’7?x4’1?, mounted on finished face of monolith.
Who made it? Albert Russell & Sons Co. of Newburyport, Massachusetts. Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? A rectangular granite monument, with a large bronze tablets thereon, describing the engagements and movements of each army corps. Trefoil Corps Badge incorporated in center of tablet top.
What does it honor? One of the Union army corps monuments, denoting the service of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General Oliver 0. Howard
First Division Brigadier General Francis C. Barlow
Brigadier General Adelbert Ames
Second Division Brigadier General Adolph Von Steinwehr
Third Division Major General Carl Schurz
Artillery Brigade Major Thomas W. Osborn
July 1. Schurz’s Division in advance arrived at 10.30 A. M. was formed in line northwest of the town. Barlow’s Division formed on Schurz’s right. Steinwehr’s Division was placed on Cemetery Hill. The line in front was attacked by brigades of Rodes’s and Early’s Divisions. About 4 P. M. the Corps was forced back and retired through the town to Cemetery Hill and formed on each side of the Baltimore Pike.
July 2. The Corps remained in the same position until about 4 P. M. when the Confederate artillery opened fire from Benner’s Hill and Cemetery Ridge but was silenced by artillery under Colonel Wainright and Major Osborn. At 8 P. M. Hays’s Louisiana and Hoke’s North Carolina Brigades attacked the position on East Cemetery Hill but were repulsed.
July 3. At 1 P. M. all the Confederate artillery within direct range opened fire on this position which was followed by an unsuccessful charge on the 2d. Corps position.
Casualties Killed 33 Officers 336 Men Wounded 120 Officers 1802 Men Captured or Missing 62 Officers 1448 Men Total 3801
When was this photograph taken? June 6, 2010.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Located South side West Howard Avenue, Southwest of Carlisle Road.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Located on extended tour route that includes Barlow’s Knoll.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been moved or materially altered.
Secondary Monuments and Markers
Photographed: May 30, 2009.
Location: East Cemetery Hill. Located east side of Baltimore Pike on East Cemetery Hill. This monument is denoted on the map above by a RED pushpin.
Description: Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission and completed in June 1913; consists of steel cannon mounted on a granite base. It denotes the location of the Eleventh Corps headquarters. Coursed, rough-hewn base, 3’2″sq, 2’7″H. Wrought Iron cannon tube with Crescent Moon Corps insignia at tube base, mounted upright on base. Bronze inscription tablet on West side, facing road.
Commander: Maj. Gen. Oliver Otis Howard (November 8, 1830 – October 26, 1909) was a career United States Army officer and a Union general in the American Civil War. He was a corps commander noted for suffering two humiliating defeats, at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg, but he recovered from the setbacks while posted in the Western Theater, and served there successfully as a corps and army commander. After the war, he commanded troops in the West, conducting a famous campaign against the Nez Perce tribe. He was instrumental in the founding of Howard University. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard (will open a pop up window).