The Army of the Potomac at Gettysburg.
About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? June 1, 1908.
What is it made out of? Foundation: Concrete. Monument: Granite. Plaque: Bronze.
Who made it? Erected by the United States War Department.
What does it depict? One of two large granite markers that were set up with bronze tablets giving the organization of the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia. Shields in bronze will be mounted on the faces of the markers above the tablets. Monolithic monument (4’7″x2’2″x8’9″H) with smooth cut granite face & sides, rough cut back & top. Curvilinear cap. Bronze inscribed tablet on front w/ bronze U.S.A shield above. Stone designed by E.B. Cope, Architect. Civil War Marker that commemorates Army of the Potomac at the Battle of Gettysburg 1863, near the center of that army’s battle line.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
Major General George G. Meade
The Army consisted of Eight Corps
First Corps Major General John F Reynolds
Major General Abner Doubleday
Major General John Newton
Second Corps Major Winfield S. Hancock
Brigadier General John Gibbon
Third Corps Major Daniel E. Sickles
Major General David B. Birney
Fifth Corps Major General George Sykes
Sixth Corps Major General John Sedgwick
Eleventh Corps Major General Oliver C. Howard
Major General Henry W. Slocum
Twelfth Corps Brigadier General Alpheus S. Williams
Cavalry Corps Major General Alfred Pleasonton
Reserve Artillery Brigadier General Robert O. Tyler
July 1. The First and Eleventh Corps arrived, and were engaged north, and, west of Gettysburg,and fell back to Cemetery Hill in rear ofthe town. The Twelfth Corps and a large part of the Third Corps arrived at the close of the day.
July 2 . The remainder of the Third Corp and the Fifth and Second Corps arrived in the morning. The Sixth Corps late afternoon. The Third Corps having advanced was attacked by Longstreet’s Confederate Corps and Anderson’s Division of Hill’s Corps. The Fifth Corps, and the First Division of the Second Corps going to the support of the Third Corps an engagement ensued until nightfall when the Union forces had been driven back from their advanced position and the Confederates repulsed.
July 3. The Twelfth Corps having by order vacated a large part of its line on Culps Hill, on the night of the 2D and Johnson’s Division of Ewell’s Corps having occupied the works. The Twelfth Corps in the morning attacked and regained the lines it had previously vacated. Hill’s Corps and Pickett’s Division of Longstreets Corps in the afternoon attacked the line of the Second Corps and were repulsed with great Loss. Stuart’s Confederate Cavalry in the afternoon attacked the Second Cavalry Division and the Second Brigade Third Cavalry Division and was repulsed.
When was this photograph taken? September 24, 2010.
Where is it located? Located Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325. Monument located East side Hancock Avenue opposite the Angle.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? Yes.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been materially altered or moved.
Secondary Monuments and Markers
Photographed: May 23, 2010.
Location: Neill Avenue, Wolf Hill. Located at South end of Neill Avenue at hill summit. This monument is denoted on the map above by a RED pushpin.
Description: Iron tablet erected by the Commission. Erected in 1901. Denotes the location of the right flank of the Army of the Potomac on Wolf’s Hill. Marker is a cast-iron tablet on an iron post with a silver painted border and an incised inscription Right of the Infantry of the Army of the Potomac.” Overall height is 2.10 feet. Designed by E. B. Cope. Inscription “Right of the Infantry of the Army of the Potomac.” Tablet cast by Calvin Gilbert, founder.
Photographed: September 20, 2009.
Location: Leister Farm. Located on Leister Farm along former Meade Avenue. This monument is denoted on the map above by a BLUE pushpin.
Description: Erected by the Gettysburg National Parks Commission and completed in June 1913; consists of a bronze cannon mounted on a granite base. Denotes the location of General Meade’s headquarters at the Leister Farm. Rough-hewn, coursed, 3 part base, 3’2″sq, 2’7″H. Cannon tube mounted upright on base. Overall 10’6″H. Inscription tablet on north side and faces public roads and park avenues.
Commander: Maj. Gen. George Gordon Meade (December 31, 1815 – November 6, 1872) was a career United States Army officer and civil engineer involved in coastal construction, including several lighthouses. He fought with distinction in the Seminole War and Mexican-American War. During the American Civil War he served as a Union general, rising from command of a brigade to the Army of the Potomac. He is best known for defeating Confederate General Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863. In 1864–65, Meade continued to command the Army of the Potomac through the Overland Campaign, the Richmond-Petersburg Campaign, and the Appomattox Campaign, but he was overshadowed by the direct supervision of the general in chief, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant. More about this officer.
After Action Report: After Action Report of Maj. Gen. George G. Meade (will open a pop up window).