Named For: General Henry Slocum, commander of the XII Corps.
Location: Culp’s Hill.
Built: 1884, 1897.
Designer: E.B. Cope.
Description: Avenue was originally 20′ wide telford-based system, widened, route altered, and bituminous paved 1930s, approximately 24′ wide x 1.308 mi long. Begins at intersection Colgrove and East Confederate Avenues and extends to Baltimore Pike near Steven’s Knoll. Used by vehicles and pedestrians.
History: Slocum Avenue, named after Major General Henry Slocum, weaves through Culp’s Hill area. It follows much of route laid out on Culp’s Hill by GBMA and encompasses most of the Hill’s monuments.
Notes: Slocum Avenue is often referred to as North and South Slocum Avenue. North Slocum Avenue extends from the Baltimore Pike to the intersection with Williams and Geary Avenues. South Slocum Avenue runs from East Confederate Avenue and Spangler’s Spring to the intersections with Williams and Geary Avenues. Slocum Avenue is closed during inclement winter weather by gates at Carman/Colgrove Avenue and at East Confederate Avenue.