About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? 1914.
What is it made out of? Bronze.
What size is it? Bronze plaque affixed to front of church.
Who made it? Van Amringe Company (granite bases), Albert Russell & Sons Company (bronze tablets). Erected by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
What does it honor? Denotes the location of the field hospitals of the Cavalry Corps for the Union Army of the Potomac.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
ARMY OF THE POTOMAC
MEDICAL DEPARTMENT FIELD HOSPITALS
The hospitals of the First Division Cavalry Corps were located June 30th in this church and other nearby buildings and fell into the hands of the Confederates on the evening of July 1st. The wounded of the cavalry commands were later cared for here and in the hospitals of the infantry divisions.
Medical Director Cavalry Corps Surgeon Geo. L. Pancoast U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon Abner Hard 8th Illinois Cavalry
2nd Division Surgeon W.W. Phillips 1st N.J. Cavalry
3rd Division Surgeon Henry Capehart 1st West Virginia Cavalry Medical Officer in charge of the corps hospitals Surgeon W.H. Rulison 9th New York Cavalry
When was this photograph taken? September 21, 2009.
Medical Director: Surgeon George Laurie Pancoast (d. 1868). Pennsylvanian.
Where is it located? The Cavalry Corps hospital marker is located in front of the Presbyterian Church, Gettysburg. The Church still stands at the corner of Baltimore Street and High Street. Placed near actual sites of the Cavalry Corps Field Hospitals. Hospital was established June 30 in Presbyterian church and other nearby buildings in Gettysburg. Marker located on entrance wall of Presbyterian Church.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? Originally, this plaque was mounted on a granite monument as the other eight field hospitals. The church is not the original. The monument was altered in approximately 1955.