About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? 1914.
What is it made out of? Granite and bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 1’7?x3’6?, 5’6? high. Bronze tablets, 3? square, in shape of a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face of monolith.
Who made it? Van Amringe Company (granite bases), Albert Russell & Sons Company (bronze tablets). Erected by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
What does it honor? The Fifth Corps Field Hospitals were located off the Taneytown Road, including at such sites as the Jacob Weikert Farm (where General Weed died and Lieutenant Hazlett was temporarily buried). The Lewis Bushman Farm became the main hospital site for the Fifth. The barn may be original, the house is not. This is the farm where Colonel Vincent was carried after being mortally wounded in the groin in the battle for Little Round Top. He died here on July 7. Colonel George Willard is also reported to have died here.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Fifth Corps were established July 2nd at the Weikert House and other houses near Little Round Top and along the Taneytown Road. During the night they were removed across Rock Creek and located as follows: 1st Division south of White Run on the Fiscel Farm. 2nd Division 100 rods south of White Run near the Clapsaddle House. 3rd Division one half mile west of Two Taverns and near the Pike. These Hospitals cared for 1400 wounded and remained in operation until August 2nd 1863.
Medical Director 5th Corps Surgeon John J. Milhau U.S. Army
1st Division Surgeon Edward Shippen U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Assistant Surgeon Clinton Wagner U.S. Army
3rd Division Surgeon Louis W. Read U.S. Volunteers
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon A.M. Clark U.S. Volunteers.
When was this photograph taken? May 30, 2009.
Medical Director: Dr. John Jefferson Milhau (d. 1891). Commissioned as a surgeon in the U.S. Regular Army 1851. Promoted to Bvt. Brigadier General in 1866.
Where is it located? The Fifth Corps hospital marker is on the Hospital Road, 1,200 feet north of the M. Fiscel house. This portion of the Hospital Road is today known as the Goulden Road. Placed near actual site of 5th Corps Field Hospital. Hospitals for 5th Corps were housed in a number of buildings from July 2 to August 2, 1863. Located on Goulden Road.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been changed or materially altered.