About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? 1914.
What is it made out of? Granite and bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 1’7?x3’6?, 5’6? high. Bronze tablets, 3? square, in shape of a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face of monolith.
Who made it? Van Amringe Company (granite bases), Albert Russell & Sons Company (bronze tablets). Erected by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
What does it honor? The Sixth Corps Field Hospital was located at the John Trostle Farm. The house and barn still stand.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Sixth Corps were established July 2nd near the Trostle House east of Rock Creek and two hundred yards southwest of this point. These Hospitals cared for 315 wounded.
Medial Director 6th Corps Surgeon Charles O’Leary U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon E.F. Taylor 1st N.J. Infantry
2nd Division Surgeon S.J. Allen 4th Vermont Infantry
3rd Division Surgeon S.A. Holman 7th Massachusetts Infantry
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon C.N. Chamberlain U.S. Volunteers.
When was this photograph taken? May 31, 2009.
Medical Director: Surgeon Charles O’Leary (d. 1897). Native of Providence, Rhode Island.
Where is it located? The Sixth Corps hospital marker is located 600 feet north of the John Trostle house, near the Hospital Road on the portion that today is known as Goulden Road. Placed near actual sites of 6th US Corps Field Hospitals. Hospitals were established July 2, 1863, near Trostle House east of Rock Creek on Goulden Road.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been changed or materially altered.