About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? 1914.
What is it made out of? Granite and bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 1’7?x3’6?, 5’6? high. Bronze tablets, 3? square, in shape of a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face of monolith.
Who made it? Van Amringe Company (granite bases), Albert Russell & Sons Company (bronze tablets). Erected by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
What does it honor? The Third Corps Hospital was located on the Jacob Schwartz Farm.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Third Corps were located July 2nd in houses and barns along the Taneytown Road from the Schoolhouse Road to the Mill Road. During the night they were removed to the south side of White Run three hundred yards from its junction with Rock Creek. These Hospitals cared for more than 2500 wounded. They were closed about August 6th 1863.
Medical Director 3rd Corps Surgeon Thomas Sim U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon J.W. Lyman 57th Pennsylvania Infantry
2nd Division Assistant Surgeon J.T. Calhoun U.S. Army
Medical Officer in charge of the Corps Hospitals Surgeon Thaddeus Hildreth 3rd Maine Infantry.
When was this photograph taken? November 16, 2011.
Medical Director: Surgeon Thomas Sim (1809-1879). Born in Scotland. Died in Illinois.
Where is it located? The Third Corps hospital marker is located on the Hospital Road, 1,500 feet northeast from the John Trostle house. (This road is now known as the Goulden Road.) Placed near actual sites of 3rd US Corps Hospitals on Goulden Road. Hospitals were located in houses and barns from July 2 to August 6, 1863.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been changed or materially altered.