About the Main Monument
When was it dedicated? 1914.
What is it made out of? Granite and bronze.
What size is it? Rough-hewn monolith, 1’7?x3’6?, 5’6? high. Bronze tablets, 3? square, in shape of a Maltese cross mounted on slanted face of monolith.
Who made it? Van Amringe Company (granite bases), Albert Russell & Sons Company (bronze tablets). Erected by the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission.
What does it honor? The 12th Corps field hospitals were located on the George Bushman Farm. The house still stands, but the barn is modern.
How is it inscribed? The monument reads,
Army of the Potomac
The Division Field Hospitals of the Twelfth Corps were located July 2nd at the Bushman House one hundred and sixty yards east. These hospitals cared for about 1200 wounded and were in operation until about August 5th, 1863.
Medical Director 12th Corps Surgeon John McNulty U.S. Volunteers
1st Division Surgeon Artemus Chapel U.S. Volunteers
2nd Division Surgeon John E. Herbst U.S. Volunteers
Medical Officer in charge of 12th Corps Hospitals
Surgeon H. Ernest Goodman, 28th Penna. Infantry.
When was this photograph taken? November 16, 2011.
Medical Director: Dr. John McNulty (ca. 1827-1899). From New York City, New York
Where is it located? The Twelfth Corps hospital marker is located on the Hospital Road, 500 feet west of the George Bushman house. Placed near actual site of 12th US Corps Hospitals. Located on east side of Hospital Road at George Bushman house.
Is this monument located along the NPS Auto Tour route? No.
Has this monument been moved or changed? This monument has not been changed or materially altered.