War Time Owner: Joseph Spangler.
Location: Hanover Road, near intersection with Cavalry Field Avenue.
Extant Buildings: House, barn, outbuildings. Purchased in 1991 by the Gettysburg National Military Park and is currently in the process of being restored.
About the Farm: The farm is located along Hanover Road, near junction with Low Dutch Road, and therefore part of East Cavalry Battlefield. Custer’s Cavalry Brigade took position in field in front of and behind house on morning of July 3. Brigade made dramatic charges from these positions near the house across the fields of Spangler, Lott, and Howard farms during the afternoon hours. This complex is part of the historic scene of Gettysburg National Military Park. Farm figured prominently in Cavalry engagement. Confederate Cavalry was to aid Infantry regiments attacking Culp’s Hill, but engaged Federal Cavalry east of town. House was used for hospital purposes after the battle. The house House (1840-50) is a two-story, three-bay brick Georgian-style farmhouse on a stone foundation, measuring 24.0 x 20.0 feet. It has a two-story wood frame ell on stone foundation added to the rear, built in the 1880s and measuring 16.6 x 20.25 feet. There is a wrap-around porch added after 1900 on the north and east sides. The porch incorporated a bay window addition on the brick portion and a closed pantry addition at the south end of the eastern side. Both portions of the house have a gable roof with return eaves and slate shingles. The barn post-dates the battle; was built in 1870. It contributes to the integrity of the agricultural battlefield landscape by maintaining the historic spatial organization and cluster arrangement of the 1863 farmstead building complex.